Off-site Links: Painting a Grey Knight in Power Armor  

Posted by Michael Hogan in , ,

Hey everyone, pretty recently I linked a tutorial on non-metallic metal painting for Grey Knight Terminators from N++ as part of the Back to Basic series. The other day, Ron from From the Warp posted a metallics tutorial on his own blog, painting with metallics on a power armored Grey Knight. I think he did things better than I could have and did with my own multi-part tutorial, which you can find here. Anyways, here is the link to the Grey Knight in power armor painting tutorial.

This tutorial goes over some good concepts for metallic hightlights, and I definitely am considering giving the stippling a try. While it does look a bit... chunky, I think this is mainly part of the picture as I've experienced the same issue. One thing I like is the gold. I was a bit dubious of a brown undercoat, but I'm definitely going to give it a shot this next time. I also wish I could get my grey lines so thin on the Storm Bolter, something I struggle with, even with a fine point brush.

Give this a shot and if it goes well, send an email to either Ron or me because I'm sure both of us would like to see if this simple technique works for everyone. I'll post any pictures I paint up in this fashion myself, and any others who email me some pictures.

This entry was posted on Thursday, January 6, 2011 at Thursday, January 06, 2011 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

2 comments

Thanks for the link, my photos exaggerate the stippling effect on the model and I didn't realise it until I had everything together and posted the next day.

In real life, the effect is much smoother.

Ron, From the Warp

January 7, 2011 at 5:19 PM

Yeah, I hope people will understand it is simply from photos. Metallics can act kind of funny when taking pictures. I doubt this gave you any traffic whatsoever, but perhaps.

Thanks for working to support From the Warp out of simply kindness.

January 7, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Post a Comment

Post a Comment