Painting: Grey Knights with Metallic Paints  

Posted by Michael Hogan in , ,

Hey everyone, a couple people have asked for some painting tips and suggestions so I plan on doing a multi-post project on painting up a Power Armor Grey Knight. I recently painted up one the other day and finished some details today, and I plan on having the tutorial produce a guy similar to this.




Please be aware that I am in no way a master painter or even good at that. I am probably below par compared to most of my readers, but I'm doing this to hopefully help some guys who are new at painting. I plan on saying what kind of brush I'm using at each point and giving tips here and there. It will be a beginners guide at painting featuring Grey Knights so that even new players may field a table-top quality line up of the Emperor's finest. I'll throw some more pictures below to give a sense of how the end product looks.
I plan on doing one part on the base coating and washing, another on hightlights and touch-ups, one on the gold, red, and purity seals, and a final one on the blade of the weapon. They are all simple things to do that don't require any mixing (though I do use a wet palette and love it!) or advance techniques.



This guy still has some small touch ups to do (such as the gold on the shoulder/Nemesis Force Weapon), so please be aware that he is not perfect. Stay tuned for more...

This entry was posted on Sunday, October 3, 2010 at Sunday, October 03, 2010 and is filed under , , . You can follow any responses to this entry through the comments feed .

5 comments

Looks great!

I add a light sheen of gold to my stormbolter ammo casings to make them stand out a bit. Might be worth a try.

Are you going to use a snow base theme?

October 11, 2010 at 1:03 AM

Thanks! I'm hoping to get the tutorial put on the blog tonight, I've been terribly busy lately and I spent most of my free time painting up the guy for this tutorial and my Inquisitor, who I'll be sure to put up pictures of.

I might have to give that a try. Do you just highlight a bit with gold or do you water it down into a wash before applying it?

When I finally do get to it, I do plan on basing all of my units with snow, as most of the terrain I play with (and where I usually take a picture of my guys simply because the nice white color) is snow themed. I just want to finish up all of my guys (I'm only 1/3 of the way there, I'm a bit slow) before basing them, just in case I change my mind part way through.

October 11, 2010 at 1:40 PM

Its look very good Michael! Its always very refreshing to see how other people paint their armies. I have only one thing to add, the bolter. paint the casing red(maybe gore red and highlight with gore red/ blood red(if you like extreme highlights then gore red then blood red)) so it pops, right now as it is its almost becoming a part of the grey knight.

I really love the way you painted it!

Best wishes Ras

October 18, 2010 at 7:34 AM

Thanks Ras. I was considering doing all my Storm Bolters red, but I've been torn between my entire army or just one squad. If I do choose my entire army, it shouldn't take long to switch over to red. I tried a very different way of painting Grey Knights using no dry brushing or hard-edging but just using watered down metallics and Chaos Black to create shadows and brights. I like the way it came out, but I've been having trouble capturing the image with a camera as with the light even the darker colors kind of pop a bit. I'll do my best to get a nice picture up soon. Thanks for the comments!

October 18, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Here are a couple pictures currently on my camera.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_d0K-XqHHSeY/TLz5kcMglPI/AAAAAAAAAT4/0p5oYunfzEM/s1600/IMG_0622.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_d0K-XqHHSeY/TLz5miATwGI/AAAAAAAAAT8/qqYc218o-mo/s1600/IMG_0623.JPG

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_d0K-XqHHSeY/TLz5ohfQjcI/AAAAAAAAAUA/ra4Y_3UhJYA/s1600/IMG_0624.JPG

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_d0K-XqHHSeY/TLz5qxI1s0I/AAAAAAAAAUE/eFnmMzWh94g/s1600/IMG_0625.JPG

For this last one, I tried to focus on the legs as it was one of the more obvious areas of shading. I pointed the flash right at the side of the leg, and it didn't get nearly as bright as the front of the leg or anything else visible. Anyways, I'm trying to illustrate that even when you rotate the model around in the same light or shine more light at it, the bright areas stay relatively bright and the darks stay relatively dark.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_d0K-XqHHSeY/TLz5s63vZRI/AAAAAAAAAUI/p-bI7ObFbF0/s1600/IMG_0628.JPG

October 18, 2010 at 9:57 PM

Post a Comment

Post a Comment